adjusting centipede monitor

From: Rod Spade <rodspade_at_paonline.com>
Date: Sun Oct 27 2002 - 21:20:01 EST

I recently acquired a Centipede with a WG 19K4903. I have a couple of
issues with the monitor:

The left side of the screen (this would be either the top or bottom of
the monitor, since it's mounted vertically) is cut off. For example, in
attract mode, I can't see the left edge of mushrooms in the left-most
column. I see about 2/3 of the mushroom, but not the far left edge.
And in self-test mode, I can move the centipede head off screen to the
left so that it's not visible at all. This almost seems to be an issue
with the game board rather than the monitor; reducing the vertical size
on the monitor and/or shifting the picture with the jumper doesn't fix
it - it's like some of the video scan lines are just plain missing. I
even tried fiddling with vertical hold, but that didn't seem useful.

The other issue is that the image is too tall - i.e., the self-test
background extends off the top and bottom of the screen. I assume the
way to fix this is with the horizontal size adjustment on the monitor,
but it's a real pain. It's a coil that you have to adjust with a hex
tool, but none of my hex wrenches seems to fit, and I wasn't able to do
anything with the blade of a screw driver either. I either need a
perfectly-sized tool that I don't have, or the thing is just so old that
it's stuck and won't easily adjust. (I did find black crud or soot or
something inside the game, so who knows where it's been.) Is there an
"easy" way to adjust this, or do I just have to keep beating on that
horz size coil until I get it? Might capping the monitor help?

Thanks for your assistance!

Rod