RE: Driving a game through Canada

From: joemagiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Wed Apr 14 2004 - 12:23:19 EDT

I've driven games across the border both directions after 9/11. If
possible, have a receipt of some kind, even hand written, that you own the
game (or a sales receipt that you just bought it). Also, even though
there's no import/export duties on video games, if you can show somehow that
the game was made in the USA (the address on the serial number tag), that
will help too. Have info on where your picking it up and dropping it off.

You used to only need a drivers license to get in and out of Canada, but now
they are requiring a passport, visa or birth certificate (must be an
original, not a copy).

And I couldn't find a rational when they searched my van and when they
didn't. At first I thought only when they weren't busy, but that didn't
hold true. So don't stash anything. The worst time for me was when I tried
to cross back into the US at 3 AM or so. 5 guys searched my van for about
30 minutes. (The op raid was a bust, so it must have look suspicious that I
had this big completely empty van trying to enter in the middle of the
night).

Your mileage may vary, just my experiences.

Joe