monitor swapping and tube cross reference?

From: joemagiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Tue Jun 08 2004 - 13:23:28 EDT

So, I'm looking at this sad lot of horizontal non-working, G07, 46xx and
49xx monitors. I figure, they're not working now, so what the heck, I'll
try some parts swapping to see if I can jerry-rig something to work.

My question is, does the neck board go with the tube or go with the chassis?
I know the yoke is pretty much dedicated to the tube, but if I'm going to
swap some tubes and chassis', which way do I do it:

tube A, yoke A, neck board A with chassis B -or-
tube A, yoke A with neck board B, chassis B?

Also, are there any cross-references anywhere that show what tubes will work
with what chassis? (in the series of monitors I'm messing with).

Lastly, working with monitors from old broken down neglected games is
FILTHY! I've hosed down monitors before with no problems, but I'd be
interested to here any others thoughts on it. My formula is pretty much
spray them down really good with concentrated Simple Green, let it just sit
there for a day. Then I use a garden hose and spray them down while going
over them with a long haired somewhat soft brush. I let them dry in the hot
Chicago summer sun for a day (obviously I can only do this for a few months
a year in the Chicago area, so now's the time!). Then, for a final drying,
I pop them in my car with the windows up for a day or two. It's SOOOOO much
nicer working on a clean monitor. You don't even feel that bad if it
doesn't work as you're not getting filthy along the way as you find out it
doesn't work.

Joe