Re: speech board operation

From: Mark Jenison <jenison_at_cig.mot.com>
Date: Thu May 29 1997 - 14:01:16 EDT

On May 29, 10:11am, Al Kossow wrote:
> Subject: speech board operation
>
> I did a little more playing around with Zektor this morning and
> the reason it was halting on startup was that it appears to send
> out speech command 8 (you survived..) ?? when the game starts up.
> Is this true? It also looks like the protocol for starting a speech
> command is to send the command number with the msb 0, wait (which
> was what the HALT was for) then remove the 8035 reset by setting
> bit 0x80 of the speech control port (which is 0x38).

Upon power up, many of the Sega XY games seem to send a sound signal (not
during a reset, however). Elimnator, Space Fury and Zektor all have an
explosion upon power up. Star Trek has it's theme music. I'm not sure about
Tac/Scan.

> I was also wondering if there is supposed to be a letter missing
> in the message "FOR EXTRA SHI" and if there is a fairly long delay
> between the display of game play and this message.

Sounds like your missing the twirling P.

> I'll try to get color going today, and get some screen shots on
> my web page, as well as getting pictures up of the start of each
> wave.

What's your Web Page address?

> oops, one more thing... is there supposed to be a critter displayed
> inside the rotating-thingie-you're-supposed-to-shoot-for-the-extra-ship
> (guess it doesn't have a real name) in attract mode?

I'm not sure if an aliean is in it during attract mode...I don't think so at
the moment.

Mark Jenison E-mail address: jenison@cig.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group Motorola--Arlington Heights, IL