Re: cine sound board

From: Joseph J. Welser <jwelser_at_crystal.cirrus.com>
Date: Tue Jun 10 1997 - 14:36:17 EDT

> > I was looking through the archives of this list and I saw that
> >there was some discussion a while back about the 3 pin analog noise
> >generators. Did you guys ever emulate these digitally? If so, you'd save
> >me a bit of work. I need to find out how that puppy works (i.e. its noise
> >spectrum.)
> >
> > I think you guys were talking about using an LFSR, generated by a
> >PIC to do that. Did that work?
>
> I never got around to trying any of it. I dunno if Zonn did or not? I
> decided to ignore the sound boards for now in favor of trying to crank out
> the main multi-game daughtercard in short order. (It's going well by the
> way, except that OrCAD Layout Plus doesn't want to output the via pads on
> the PCB... Grrrr...)

        Have any of you been able to find a datasheet for one?

        The part number is an S2688. Cinematronics used AMI parts. I found a link that took me to a company called AMS (Austria MicroSystems or something like that,) but they didn't have any design resources (i.e. datasheets.)

        I guess if worse comes to worse, I can just sample it and take an FFT. I wonder if it's actually "white" noise. I think these use leaky zener junctions to generate the noise. I suppose this would be a whole lot more white than an LFSR. <shrug>

        When I come up with something, I'll let you guys know, since it looks like eventually, others will need this sort of thing...

Joe