Re: Question for mailing list group

From: Zonn <zonn_at_concentric.net>
Date: Sun Nov 02 1997 - 19:47:05 EST

On Sun, 02 Nov 1997 01:30:34 -0800, John Robertson <pinball@istar.ca>
wrote:

>Hi, all!
>What is the consensus here regarding advertisements of a vector nature?
>I have a few games that I would like to sell (Star Trek, Star Wars,
>etc...) and I don't get rgvam on my server (why I don't know). Would an
>auction run in this area be unseemly? Or prices posted? Or what?
>Thanks!
>John :-#?#

Is this up for voting?

I wouldn't mind one post as to condition, price and whereabouts of a
game -- assuming there was some special price or condition that would
make it applicable to 'vectorlist'.

Like: "I have a broken Asteroids here in the SF area, I've tried
everything to get it to work and am giving up. So I'm wondering if
some hardware guru, here on Vectorlist, will take it off my hands for
$100, case looks great... blah blah" or,

"I'v designed some boards that allow you to switch between SW and ESB
and I'm asking $99 for them, let me know if your interested" -- At
Clay's prices, I don't see him retiring, or even paying rent on the
profits from those board. And even if he was, this would still be a
good place to post because of the uniqueness of the product.

If one is not offering any special or unique deals, I don't see why it
needs to be posted to 'vectorlist'.

Mailing lists are easy to create, if needed it would be easy enough
for someone to start a 'vectorlist.marketplace'.

So far it's been very nice having a noise free mailing list. It would
seem a shame, simply because this list's subscription base has become
large enough to support an auction, to start throwing advertisements
between the "real posting" -- much like a magazine would.

I don't see where an auction would help anyone but the sole individual
running the auction, and that could be done in private emails, or on a
newsgroup somewhere.

IMHO.

Of course Al Kossow started and maintains this list, and we are all
here as his guests. To quote from the original "Welcome" message:

   "I've created an automated mailing list for people interested in
   the technical aspects of vector games called vectorlist@spies.com."

What he says goes!

On the other hand I'm bummed because while I seem to be able to get
every 'alt.bad.taste.porn.hate.racist.sexist.binaries' created, I also
don't get RGVAM -- which would be a great place to run an auction!

There are times when I like ads, and have no problems in participating
in auctions!

-Zonn