Amplifone/wintron

From: Jeff Anderson <mayday19_at_IDT.NET>
Date: Tue Apr 21 1998 - 21:26:13 EDT

ok, so the red HV transformer in my ESB cockpit finally took a dive after
working 10 hours a day everyday for the past 6 months! I already have a
Wintron, and was just about to mount it to my HV board (already drilled
the holes and the soldering iron was hot), when I noticed
that Q3 was a BU407. I recall hearing many a person say DONT USE A BU407!
So should I be worried about frying a new $190 wintron? Is there a reason
why the missing diode would cause problems (in other words, is the wintron
designed any different and wil it just NOT work without it?)

When the Red HVT went bad, it cracked and spit some metal out of the side,
but nothing burned up and no fuses were blown so I guess it just opened up
and went quietly..

I guess if I could get a BU406D I'd rather have that and not chance
anything, so does anybody know a source or have any? I recall they are
very hard to come by..

thanks for any input!

Jeff

BTW: this must come up every month, but what is the progress on the Zanan
HVT? is it gonna be in that same metal case like a Wintron? I could use a
few more, but not for $190!