Re: MC1495's

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu May 14 1998 - 14:05:25 EDT

On Thu, 14 May 1998 09:35:25 -0700, Clay Cowgill <ClayC@diamondmm.com> wrote:

>> If someone ever builds a new deflection board for the G80, they'll
>> need
>> something similar. I'm guessing thats what the custom IC does on the
>> inputs
>> of the original G80 design.
>>
>On a kinda-sorta related note... I still say it'd be really cool to try
>to find a modern "flat" CRT (like a 25-27" Toshiba, Matsushita,
>Panasonic/Phillips, etc.) with nice black-phosphor coating and try to
>drive it from an old vector yoke (or make a new one). The flat screen
>might "fix" the geometric distortion like the Amplifone tube does, but
>with the short neck distance on the new tubes adequate deflection might
>be a problem.

I think the short neck exaggerates the problem which is why the Amplifone tubes
had longer next than the WG tubes. I think short necks were always desirable
(makes for smaller TVs) but only came about with the advent of better
compensating electronics. But this is only a guess.

>> I started playing around with the Cinematronics method of
>> display-correction in Electronics Workbench, but haven't got much
>> tested
>> with it.
>>
>> Did Zonn ever trace out the circuit in Boxing Bugs?

I started it, then got torn away by an old "side" job that I thought was done.
I've learned that old jobs are never done, just put on hold for years at a time.
But I'm learning to say no! I just said no to another job someone wanted to
hire me for! I feel real good about this. The first step to recovery is
admitting you have a problem. Just say no.

The Cinematronics design does use the 1495 parts, it still uses the diodes in
the feedback of the OP amps to correct for blooming around the edges, but has an
extra non-linear correction stage that's more adjustable than the VDR circuit of
Atari -- and does it without the VDRs.

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically