Re: Lunar Battle :-0

From: Zonn <zonn_at_zonn.com>
Date: Thu Aug 06 1998 - 14:01:41 EDT

On Thu, 6 Aug 1998 10:26:28 -0700 , Clay Cowgill <ClayC@diamondmm.com> wrote:

>> a duplication is not an original, and would not de-value the factory
>> proto-types.
>>
>Not to beat a dead horse, but to some people duplicates really do
>devalue an original. When I sold the only known Atari 5200 Stargate
>cartridge the collector doing the buying was quite specific that he was
>only interested in it if I'd never distributed the ROM images... (And
>at $600.00 for a cart I wasn't going to argue...)

That's more understandable, but for a full size Arcade how much does it *really*
devalue the game?

I've given out the ROM images for War of the Worlds and Sundance. Of the two
WotW was probably devalued the most (based on game play). So I've knocked off
what, $100, $200, $300 from the value of the game?

Even if I sold it for $300 less than I could have, that loss of $300 is not
going to make or break my retirement fund. Over the life of video game
collecting $300 is next to nothing.

Anybody that would be interested in buying Wotw or Sundance (neither is for
sale) is not motivated by game play. And maybe the fact that the images are
available (and therefore the game known) might make the game more sellable, who
knows what goes on in the mind of an individual collector?

I think about it, what if you had sold the Stargate cart for $300 instead of
$600, would you really be out of a house now? You could have been known as the
guy who brought Stargate to the 5200 world instead of just some guy the sold it
to some other guy... Not that that's bad! Just making a point -- sometimes
*ego* is a better pay-off and a longer lasting thrill than some C-bills! :^)

>ESB values certainly tanked after the SW/ESB kits became available too--
>had more than a couple people bitch at me about that.

And maybe would should start destroying Tempest cabinets so that the ones we own
become more valuable? Those kits are a good thing for collecting, who knows,
maybe it's saved a few SW from being destroyed.

>:-) I need to take more pictures this weekend-- it's looking pretty
>good in there now. ;-)

Gee, I don't think I can fit a camera in my garage to even take a picture!

-Zonn

 ------ ___ Member of A.A.C.S.:
 |---- | ( ) Association for Artistically
    / / ( () ) Challenged Signatures