RE: Star Wars - flyback suggestions?

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 14:04:38 EDT

> I understand where John is going with the flyback tester... but I
> don't quite understand why 99% of flyback problems can't be found
> with a meter. That is, just by checking the windings for shorts or
> open connections...

You can find a lot of "obvious" problems with a meter-- dead shorts,
opens, etc. You can eliminate a lot of suspect flybacks simply by
comparing the readings to a known-good one.

Sometimes flybacks can be bad (or going bad RSN) without being totally
blown. (just a couple windings starting to fuse or something) The only
way I've been able to reliably sniff those out has been to use a Sencore
inductor tester and do a ringing test on the flyback.

 From my tests with a plain old DVM I was able to say that when the meter
showed shorts or opens, the flyback was definately bad. When then meter
showed "reasonable" numbers though it was still a crapshoot if it would
actually work or not. (The Sencore was right 100% of the time though.)

-Clay