SW Aplifone repair, Part 2

From: Dave Turner <david_at_hiwaay.net>
Date: Sun Aug 30 1998 - 11:29:28 EDT

Well, here is the latest on trying to figure out if my HV Transformer is
bad on my Star Wars Amplifone. I post this in hopes that it will give
someone a clue to say "Yep, it's bad" as I can't really afford the
replacement right now.

Got a Zanen Cap Kit and installed it on my Deflection PCB and my "Good"
HV board. I have two HV boards, one did nothing, the other blew VR1 with
the obligitory smoke. Putting the cap kit in and replacing VR1 did not
change things... the new VR1 heated up VERY rapidly so I cut power. This
is what it did before.

I then swapped the HV Transformers. The one that blew VR1 on the first
board, seriously blew VR1 on the second board. So I am ready to call
that flyback bad.

Meanwhile on the HV board with the cap kit, I noticed VR1 and VR2
heating up, but what I would consider at a normal rate. Still no picture
nor could I see the heater in the neck. I did notice when I pulled the
board that the part near the HV transformer that looks like a voltage
regulator (with the heat sink) was VERY hot... way too hot to touch.

That is about all I got to this weekend. I do suspect the HV transformer
in this case, but would like to exhaust all possibilities before
ordering another. Maybe by the time I save that much cash Zanen will
have theirs ready! Yes, it will probably take me that long! :-(

Thanks for the help. -Dave