Re: Amplifone tube.

From: <jwelser_at_ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 19:35:26 EDT

On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, fishd wrote:

> Last Friday I spent about a half hour on the phone with
> one of the guys at T.M.C., a CRT rebuilder/supplier. This
> guy knows just about everything about picture tubes and he
> LOVES to talk :-) Here's some of the things I learned:

        Was it Ben? You're lucky it was only 1/2 hour. I spent 1 1/2
hours on the phone with him one time. He talked about everything -- how
his father started the business, the history of the tubes I wanted, etc,
etc.

        Anyways....

> 1) The 19VLTP22 tube is LOW resolution. Wells Gardner used it alot.
> It's used in thier 49xx series monitors. Electrohome also used it
> in thier G07-CBO's. RCA was the only manufacturer.
>
> The gassy tube in my Quantum was a 19VLTP22. I replaced it with one
> from a spare G07.

        Interesting.....

> 2) The 19VJTP22 tube, specified on the Amplifone schematics is LOW
> resolution also. The pinout is identical to the VLT tube. The difference
> is in the design of the gun. Shunts on the sides of the gun assembly
> were changed to make convergence easier. It's unclear if a yoke wound
> for the VJT can be used on a VLT, green convergence may suffer.

        Also interesting....

> 3) He remembered there was a medium resolution tube with a part number
> that began with M48.
>
> This is the Rauland M48AAW00X tube that Atari started using in place of
> the VLT tubes found in early Quantums. The Atari part number 134004-001,
> listed in the Atarifone manual TM-239 is for the Rauland tube. There ARE
> low resolution Amplifones out there.

        That's the one.....that's what I've got in my Star Wars and it
looks great. I'd bet that a low-res tube is adequate for Quantum, but not
Star Wars. A WG monitor is probably adequate for Quantum (don't need
the low-res or high slew rate.) Major Havoc I'm not sure of...

Joe