RE: Sega G-80/Cinematronics Multigame Soundboard

From: Jenison Mark-QA3578 <Mark.Jenison_at_motorola.com>
Date: Tue Feb 27 2001 - 14:43:02 EST

> > I found a stash of sound chips that will do nicely for use
> in sound-boards
> > for the Cinematronics and Sega G-80 multigames. :-) They're stereo
> > ADPCM/PCM chips that are tailored for autonomous sound
> playback (a little
>
> Stereo. Oooh -- so could we have 'normal' and 'enhanced'
> sound roms for
> stereo sound from a Star Trek ? :-)
>
> Serious question: This would be just the sound effects, not
> the speech,
> correct ? I recall a discussion that making a 'multi-speech'
> board was
> really just making a bank-switched ROM for the existing board.

I believe Clay plans on doing the speech with these, also.

If not, I'd be willing to work with Clay to provide the speech board portion
of a multigame, if someone can just find a stash for the SPO-250 Orator
chips. Thought being that there is a lot of extra "room" on the speech
board, so maybe Clay's multi-sound solution could be piggy backed onto the
speech board; then half the speech board could provide sounds, and the other
half would use the original hardware to produce the speech. Seems like that
would require a lot less work for Clay, as he'd only have to develop the
sound portion.

Another solution could be hacking the code of Space Fury, Zektor, and
Eliminator to use the Universal sound board. This would require only
software changes, and would make the Universal Sound board truly Universal.
Anyone could try working on this, and that would free Clay up for more
interesting projects (like getting that FoodFight/Nightmare multigame done!!
;-)).

--
Mark Jenison