My Star Wars board set is dead :-(

From: <SVerlander_at_aol.com>
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 18:24:16 EST

Hello everyone, well today I finally got some time to start on my Star Wars
project. It has an Amplifone monitor and the only part I was missing was the
Hi-voltage board but I got one from Randy (Thanks) but I know the red
transformer is dead. Before I even think about the monitor I knew I needed to
get the game to boot up and play blind. All I knew about the game was it
played blind before the former owner let someone work on it. First I decided
to put the audio/regulator board in and test for the proper voltages with no
other boards connected of course. Everything was correct but the most
important one,the +5 VDC was showing a little over 10 volts :-O .Well I
thought no problem I have a spare so I put it in and yes all the correct
voltages. I figured the next logical step would be to put the main board set
in and flip the switch so I did and nothing. I checked all the voltages with
the board set connected and they were still correct. The audio amps were
working and with the volume control turned all the way up you can hear
background noise which sounds like processor interference noise but that's
all. All the red LED's on the boards are on, at least all that I can see as
the board will only pull out of the cage about 1/4 of the way. Now I am lost
and don't know where to begin. Anyone have any good suggestions or ideas on
where and what to start or should I just send the board set out to let an
expert repair it? Any experts out there? Anyone had the same problem?
Thanks for any help,
Sam