Re: HV Probes

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Sun Sep 29 2002 - 03:21:54 EDT

Karl Doe wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I shall be purchasing an HV probe in the next few days and wondered what
>preference people have for the two basic types: i.e. the one with a built in
>meter or the type that is used in conjunction with a standard multimeter.
>
>Cheers
>
>Karl.

The ones with the built-in meters are handy for TV and monitor use, but
the ones that use an external meter can also be used with a scope.

Internal meter ones are DC only, external meter ones have no such
limitation. Could be important if you think you might ever have to use
it on something like a microwave oven (NEGATIVE voltage with a large AC
component). Will also let you display ripple on a scope. Handy if
you're designing replacement HV supplies for games.