Re: Re: Vectorlist Archives broken...?

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Thu Mar 20 2003 - 11:03:44 EST

On Thu, 20 Mar 2003, Tom McClintock wrote:

> If I could make one more suggestion. To whomever ends up hosting the
> archives, please do not make the complete UNIX files visible or
> searchable. Right now you can get hits on a whole month of messages,

While this is getting somewhat off topic, this is what I do for a living so:

I posted this link earlier as an example of how I run a mailing list
archive (this is for a mailing list run for a group of my college friends):

http://www.westnet.com/~chris/weird/

I use a program called hypermail to turn unix mailbox files into linked HTML
pages. There is one page per message, with indixes by person, subject, and
date.

I use swish to make a full text search available. Currently I have search
engines blocked at the robots.txt file level (this is a convention where you
'ask' search engines not to index a site.

As for address munging: I don't know of an existing program that does this.
I suppose a perl script could be whipped up, but at the same time that
limits the usefullness somewhat.

A simple way to keep automatic scanners out of the archive would be to have
it in a password protected directory. The password could even be publicly
posted on the site, it just needs to keep the robots out.

I can see the vectorlist archives as being a usefull resource to have
available via google however.