Re: Pealing skin on circuit boards

From: <solarfox_at_texas.net>
Date: Fri Jun 06 2003 - 19:52:06 EDT

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 11:08:35 -0700, you wrote:

>Some of my Sega and Midway boards are constantly having problems with that
>green stuff flaking off. What do you guys use to keep that from happening?

        The "green stuff" is called solder mask... and it won't hurt anything
if it flakes off, at least not directly. It's just there to keep solder
from flowing all over the circuit traces and wicking its way into places it
shouldn't go when the board goes through the wave-soldering machine, and
has the side benefit of sealing and protecting the traces from oxidization
and contaminants afterwards.

        I don't think there's much you can do to stop the flaking, short of
coating the entire board in epoxy. :)
"In ancient times, they believed that there were only four kinds of matter:
Earth, Water, Air, and Fire. Nowadays, of course, we know that there are
actually four states of matter: Solid, Liquid, Gas, and Plasma. Thank God
for progress!" ---(Kelvin Throop III)