Cinematronics Tailgunner. Finally found the solution for replacing roms

From: Matt Rossiter <rossiter_at_ni.net>
Date: Thu Dec 02 2004 - 18:44:56 EST

Well, as some of you might vaguely remember - I've been trying to figure out how to replace the two 8332 masked roms on my tailgunner because one of them is starting to go out.

I finally figured out that you can use 2532 eproms. You put them in the same sockets, but pin 21 needs to stay high and not low. I'm sure some of you knew this already and just weren't speaking up. :( C'mon guys you need to stay dedicated so these games don't get trashed. :-o

So anyway, if it's not posted somewhere already - maybe someone (like Tom McClintock) should post this solution up on the web because some tailgunners use a daughterboard which would probably be impossible to find. But you can easily make a substitute with 2532 eproms.

1) create roms by downloading the tailgunner roms from somewhere.
2) Do a 'c:\copy /b tailg.p7 + tailg.r7 p7r7' and
            'c:\copy /b tailg.t7 + tailg.u7 t7u7' (or whatever rom name you like)
3) Make sure the 74265 (Dual buffer/inverter) is jumpered so that pin 3 is severed and pin 2 is jumpered to the through-hole of pin 3. This sets your address mode.
http://rossiters.com/docs/tailgunner-rom-pinouts_files/tailgunner-rom-large.gif
4) Burn p7r7 and t7u7 onto 2532 or tms2532 eproms and put them in sockets P7 and T7.
5) Make sure pin 21 is jumpered so that it's stuck high rather than low.

Just as an FYI, I've noticed that re-used tms2532 chips are not extremely reliable. If the above doesn't work - try burning another eprom(s).

Matt

PS One thing I noticed was that the new rom I programmed had a neat looking 'G' in tailgunner. I'm wondering if there are any other differences in the rom versions.