Re: Tempest K6100 - intermittent HV problem

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun May 16 2010 - 12:21:12 EDT

John Huie wrote:
> Ok, thanks again guys. This is helpful and I'm beginning to
> understand a bit more about this. You are dealing with a relative
> novice here. Ok, I've looked up the HV over voltage protection
> adjustment procedures and...well....I don't have an HV Trim pot on
> mine. Nor do I see an LED. So, does this mean that I have an older
> version that does not have over voltage protection? I read that this
> was a feature of the later version monitors.
>
> I'm not sure where to check for the +13 that you mentioned. I will
> see if I can figure that out unless someone hear can tell me off the
> top of your head where to check that. And also I'm not sure where to
> check to see if the oscillator is running. I have a logic probe and
> know kinda how to use it. A little..... :)
>
> Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! This is my favorite game!

If you can identify the LM555 timer/oscillator and know which pin is #3
then you can check if it is working with a logic probe, 'scope, or
even an AC voltmeter (the AC voltage should be about 1/2 of the DC
supply voltage to the 555 - or a bit less). Take care not to touch any
higher voltage points on the chassis - hard on logic probes, etc.!

If you have any way to power the HV cage on your workbench, put the HV
Anode cap in a very clean ceramic mug to avoid getting a shock, then you
can happily probe the underside of the cage - once you know which test
points to use - for correct voltages, etc.

Don't leave the HV cage running without being attached to a monitor for
too long, but it does work for short periods of time safely - under 1/2
hour say.

Technical aside only for B&W Vector monitors:

I do find the ceramic mug is a good test of B&W HV diodes in the cage -
monitoring with an IR temperature detector will let you know if the HV
diode is failing. Failing HV diodes heat up in this situation, good ones
stay at room temperature. Of course a clue at this point (failing B&W HV
Diodes) is the rubber end caps look a bit cooked, but that can be an
artifact from a previous bad diode...

Should write all this up...someday...

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com