Re: Re[2]: Ms. Pac-Man Monitor (WG?) bends UPDATE

From: Sean McLachlan <sean_at_lithoflexo.com>
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 14:43:44 EDT

Tim Soderstrom wrote:
> There is a definite hum in the speaker. I thought it was just old :)
> So I'll definitely check that one out. As for the bend, this is static
> and always towards the right side of the screen and is more of a wave
> as it moved from the top right to the bottom right. The top and
> bottom-right sections bend down, and the middle section of the maze
> appears to dip down, then slightly up, and back down again. The hum in
> the sound is kind of annoying, however, so I'm going to try this one
> first just to see if it fixes that.
I had both a static and a moving bar, and it fixed both. YMMV.

> Either way, I'll definitely try adjusting the monitor settings. One
> question though, how dangerous is that :) I notice that the RGB and
> SCREEN knobs are right on the neck of the monitor and the other POTS
> for VFREQ/HFREQ are sort of tucked away in a not-so-easy-to-access
> location. Also, the black POT I see to the right is the one connected
> to the flyback. I assume that this is what you were referring to in
> order to set the focus?
That's correct.

> Should I worry about electrocution to the point that I need to
> discharge the monitor to tweak any of these settings? I planned on
> picking up a degausser this weekend
The plastic screwdriver is a good idea, especially if the pots have
short knobs. I usually use my fingers. You really need to do the
adjustments while the game is on and warmed up for about 15 min., so
discharging isn't an option. The good news is that it's really not that
big of a deal. The first couple times I touched anything back there I
expected to be zapped into next week, and nothing happened. Be careful,
don't feel around blindly and you'll be fine.
Also, get a mirror so you can see the monitor while you play with the
settings. One about 6x6 inches. Stand on the side of the game, hold
the mirror in in one hand so you can see the screen and use your other
hand to dial the knobs. It takes away most of the "I think that's
better, well maybe not." guessing.
And take a sharpie and mark the starting position of the pots you are
going to adjust. Then you can at least get back to start, if you get
confused.

Sean McLachlan