re:Cat Box

From: Mark Shostak <shostak_at_nortel.ca>
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 10:48:00 EDT

In message "Cat Box", jwelser@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu writes:

> 1 CAT Box replacement PLD (It looks like this will only
> fit on a MACH 435 or MACH 465 part and Newark lists MACH 435s
> for like $65 a piece.)

Joe,

Sounds kinda pricy. Once you add it all up (including the cost of
the board and construction time), you may come out ahead to just pay
the ~$300 for a real CAT.

Do you think multiple smaller (cheaper) devices might be more practical?
(I just split the Cinematronics multigame into two PLDs for the very same
reason, and being a purist, I thought it was going to kill me).

Cheers,
Mark

P.S. From the perspective of money being no object, I like the idea of
     an elegant, single chip solution. Unfortunately, the techies find
     out sooner or later that what looks good on paper, doesn't always
     translate into a practical solution. That's when you have to com-
     promise some elegance for what's most practical to manufacture.