Star Trek/GO-8 stuff...

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Mon Aug 03 1998 - 13:48:04 EDT

Hi everyone.

I finally picked up my Star Trek cockpit this weekend. :-) So, now I
can actually *use* my own Sega Multigame!

Whoops... no I can't, because Mr. Science here (me) didn't know that
there's only a "P1 start" button on the cockpit, and no P2 Start (makes
sense now). Kinda impossible to pick games from the Sega Multigame menu
that way... grrrrrrr... Anyway, I made a new "cockpit" version of the
Sega Multigame ROM that uses "phaser" to choose the game and "start" to
run it. E-mail me if you want a copy of the file to burn a replacement
ROM (if you're going to use a Sega Multigame in a cockpit cab...)

Question time...

So, the monitor in the cockpit ST was dead (a dead, Go-8? really?) but
after a few hours of tinkering I got it going. Some questions though:

1) Getting a lot of "wobbly goblins". Anyone have a shopping list of
what electrolytic caps I should replace? (Values and voltage ratings
would be great...)

2) My deflection transistors are all NTE-like "284's". It *seems* to
work ok (vector wobble aside), but what's the consensus about 284's
instead of the 2N6xxx's?

3) I was getting some corona/arcing from the HV lead going to the focus
pot. I "fixed" this by removing the metal shield from around the EHT
transformer and cleaning away the accumulated dust from 15 years... No
place to arc to now. ;-) I'd assume arcing isn't normal, have any of
you seen that? (Is it just me, or does 10.3KV going to the focus pot
seem high? I know it's "right", it seems like a high value to use...)

4) the original transistors seemed to use a lot of MSPU10's and
MPSU60's. Mine is using a 2N6558 instead of the MPSU10's on the
deflection board. Sound reasonable? Anyone know a good cross/modern
source for the 10's and 60's (aside from NTE crosses)? The 2SA818
seemed close for one of them...

Thanks!
-Clay