RE: Multi cabinet control panel routing

From: Clay Cowgill <ClayC_at_diamondmm.com>
Date: Thu Dec 03 1998 - 14:30:10 EST

> I checked arrow America and they list the ispGDX for 15.80 each in
> singles.
> I can swing that, though it is a 100 pin TQFP and would require a
> board to
> be made to connect it up.  This part has 80 i/o pins and a 5ns
> response
> time.  Would be WAY overkill but it is pretty much a 1 chip solution.

100 pin TQFP! Aiiiiigggh!!! Run for the hills! ;-)

TQFP's are kind-of tricky to work with compared to packages with larger
leadspacing. If you have a pretty good soldering iron you can probably
hand mount the TQFP. Takes some practice. If you know someone with a
little reflow oven and paste dispenser more the better...

> Do you know if the 74xx type stuff is available in a library or in the
> "full" version of the product?  I am pretty familiar with that kind of
> logic
> and getting over my head doing much else.

You know, I don't know that for sure. I have the full retail version of
Synario from Minc, but haven't installed it yet. (One of those "you need
to call us on the phone as you do it, during working hours M-F, so we
can verify your hardware key crap and generally be a pain-in-the-ass
just to get your software installed" deals...)

> Well I guess I can check this route out.  Though I don't know if I
> want to
> deal with the external diodes required to turn it into a matrix,
> starts to
> sound too much like a pinball :)

:-) For a low-volume project I'd go for ~20 diodes and a 40 pin DIP
over a 100pin TQFP anyday! Just need something like 1N4148's or
something. If you *really* want to get in surface-mount hell you can
use those little round-surface mount diodes that roll all over when you
try to place them. ;-)

-Clay