RE: Armor Attack - more questions

From: Kristopher Sandrick <300zx_at_one.net>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2001 - 09:36:26 EST

> I can't remember enough morse code to tell if the two are the same.
> The first letter is 'C'; had I thought about it, I would have listened for
> the rest of "inematronics", but didn't think of it at the time.
> The (morse) code is very short, so it's probably not all of the letters.

It all goes by far too fast for me, personally, as any/all of the Morse code
training I did in my Navy days was with flashing light drills. =]

Still, I'd be very curious about any variances in the Morse between the
versions. According to the designer, it's not saying "cinematronics" at
all. Here's an excerpt from an interview with Tim Skelly
(http://coinop.vintagegaming.com/interviews/skelinterview.html) on the Morse
code:

"At the time I was finishing the game, the (US) government decreed that
every male of draft age had to register, even though there was no draft in
effect. This pissed me off (old draft resistor), especially since my buddy
Scott Boden was someone who had to sign up. I wanted to use morse code
sounds in Armor Attack, and I knew morse, (old boy scout) so that's real
morse code in the game beeping out "dontregister." I was also assuaging my
own conscience, since I had heard that Atari had sold Battle Zone to the
Army."

Very respectfully,
Kristopher Sandrick