Re: Asteroids hack

From: Clay Cowgill <vector_clay_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed May 09 2001 - 03:12:11 EDT

[ast. vs. dlx]
>The only difference is the "bump" and shot sound. They can both be
>duplicated with the Pokey. I'm just worried about the availability of the
>Pokeys. Besides, now that you have the source to all three games, you have
>no excuse. ;-)

Heh-heh... Yeah, I should just do it. I actually need a 6502
daughtercard+POKEY for something else anyway. The only reason I quit before
was that I didn't want to hunt down the beam positioning in LL that made
everything draw too low on the monitor, but I seem to recall you telling me
where that was. ;-)

[fat analog white-noise sound]
>The Pokey has an onboard filter that could be used in this fashion.

It could just be that most of my POKEY sound memories with Asteroids were on
an Atari 800 through a monitor speaker and it probably never did the engine
sound justice like the big speaker (and resonance) in the arcade cabinet
could. (Actually Neil, if I recall correctly, a number of years ago you
were playing Space Duel at Travis Hagen's place and remarking how much
better it sounded than the emulation at the time. ;-)

>The Deluxe thrust sound is in hardware and is the same circuit as
>Asteroids - it's not generated by the Pokey.

Ah, cool. I didn't notice that. That only leaves LL as a problem-child for
thrust sound... (variable something or other... I don't recall if it's
volume or frequency or both-- though it had different volume settings.)

I suppose I should dust off my patches for DLX and LL on Asteroids hardware
and see what I had left to do.

> > >Apparently the 65C02 has higher clock rate versions, too. I'm just
>looking
> > >for a source for them.
> > I don't think you'll find much anymore, but a few things to try:
> > 1) WDC (but I don't think they sell chips anymore though)
>
>They do, actually. I've just been informed that they have 14Mhz DIP 40
>parts, but they require a minimum order of $100. The chips are $3.25 each.

Score! That's the way to go then. Easy package, good price!

-Clay