Re: 6100 LV issues

From: Christopher X. Candreva <chris_at_westnet.com>
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 19:35:27 EST

On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, someotherguy wrote:

> but what in the world did all of you do before the LV2000 existed? I think

Replaced the transistors every few months. Seriously. This is why vector
monitors had such a bad reputation.

I got my Tempest just before the lv2k was available. I rebuilt it, and put
in all the upgrades specified in the Greg Woodcock FAQ, including the
oversized transistors. Even those fried within a year.

Replaced it with an LV2000, and it's worked ever since.

Well, except for the fact that I have the first version, where the
stand-off pins come streight down, and break off the solder pads from the
lv2k board if you remove it a few times. I see they've changed the design
to make little umbrella-handles on the board now, so it's soldered in two
places.

No big deal, I fixed the board long ago, and I'm just happy the thing is
available at all. It was almost funny - until I figured it out, the screen
would just die every once in a while, but every time I went to open it up,
just moving it would jostle it back into position, and it would start
working again !

If I had to duct-tape the board to the side of the cab and run cables to it,
I'ld STILL recomend it !