IP Address changes

From: Neil Bradley <neil_at_synthcom.com>
Date: Thu Feb 14 2002 - 13:19:40 EST

I've just secured a better deal with our current ISP (to go to unlimited
rather than metered service), but it entails having our IP addresses
change.

Here's what it means to various individuals:

To dialup and wireless users: Effectively no change. Downtime will most
likely be in the range of 10-15 minutes while I reconfigure/reboot the
server to a new range of addresses. It will require calling back in or
reconnecting depending upon if you're wireless or dialup.

To remote users via telnet or web: There will be a (roughly) 24 hour
period of time where the old synthcom.com address won't resolve, resulting
in no response/delayed emails. It takes a while for the name/IP
association to make its way through the internet.

To FTP consumers (Nord Modular list): This means archive.synthcom.com
won't respond for about 24 hours, perhaps a bit longer if NWLink doesn't
set their authoritative domains up properly (which I'm suspecting they
won't). If this happens, I'll post the new server's IP address.

I'll give everyone a 2 day heads up, and I can guarantee you it won't be
done on a Friday like it was last time...

-->Neil