Re: Asteroid bug on 10th score

From: <MKDUD_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue Apr 02 2002 - 23:22:44 EST

In a message dated 4/2/2002 7:30:48 PM Eastern Standard Time, dougj@hwcn.org
writes:

> So what were the tricks, and was there any trick (or set of tricks)
> that would work for all ROM revisions?
>
> I remember hearing of three:
>
> 1) A bug that allowed you to lurk in the score digits and not
> get shot. (Frequently reported in the press as "He knew where
> the saucer would appear and shot it before it could shoot him,
> sometimes firing around the other side of the screen, because
> the saucer's bullets couldn't wrap around.")
>
> 2) Flying up the middle of the screen, turning, and firing on saucers
> as they appeared. (Standard hunting)
>
> 3) A ROM revision that "fixed" #2, by having the saucer home in on you
> while you thrust. (So you laid off the thrust button as soon as
> the saucer appeared...)

The revision Scott and I were talking about is my favorite - I think it was
released around July 1980. This makes the saucers smarter - they shoot at
the player as soon as they appear (no more lurking), 75% of the shots are at
the player's ship, and it can track the player while the player thrusts. The
other 25% of shots are directed at the remaining rocks, so it makes saving
your rocks harder if you want to hunt.

The saucer can also fire aimed wraparound shots, so you can't use the edge to
hide from the saucer's fire.

It is still possible to hunt a bit by "cruising" (thrusting up the middle of
the screen), but eventually the saucer will shoot your last rock, forcing you
into the next board. Also, since the saucer can track you while thrusting,
you are not totally safe while laying on the gas pedal...

I feel this revision was the best - it provides enough challenge to keep good
players interested without adding the speedmods or "speedboard" that ruin the
intended pace of the game. I'm hoping Scott can eventually add this revision
to his kit.

I'm still ordering my kit, though, and am very happy Scott was able to make
one for Asteroids. I still feel that it is one of the greatest games, and I
like it as much today as when I played it when it was new.

MK