Asteroids: Free Play, Monitor Problems

From: Craig E <trontium17_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 02:24:44 EDT

I recently bought an Asteroids which has developed 2 problems: 1: Even though the dip switches are set to free play, free play does not work. It used to when I first got it, but then it started reverting to 1 Coin Per Play and I had to turn the machine on and off to get Free Play back. That problem got worse and worse, and now it just does not work at all (and the coin door does not appear to be wired so I can't actually play it at all...and I have no idea how to wire the door). I was told to just replace the dip switch part. -Does that sound right to you? And any idea wher I can get one if so? 2: The monitor has a slight "jiggle" to it...things sort of bounce up and down a bit. This is very apparent when you get to the screen where you can enter your initials for a high score...all of the letters are slightly bouncy. And if you play the game for too long, everything on the monitor grows to 4-5 times its normal size. One person told me to replace the power supply, another told me to replace the po
ts, and someone told me something else that I don't quite remember. -Should I try all of these things, or am I getting steered in the wrong direction? What's my best course of action here?
FYI, this is my first game and I'm not the most electically inclined, but I can handle a soldering iron so think I can make repairs myself. This is also my first post to the Vector list, so please go easy on me ;-) -Trontium