Re: Asteroids: Free Play, Monitor Problems

From: mccullar <mccullar_at_flash.net>
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 10:49:56 EDT

  1: Even though the dip switches are set to free play, free play does not work. It used to when I first got it, but then it started reverting to 1 Coin Per Play and I had to turn the machine on and off to get Free Play back. That problem got worse and worse, and now it just does not work at all (and the coin door does not appear to be wired so I can't actually play it at all...and I have no idea how to wire the door). I was told to just replace the dip switch part.

  -Does that sound right to you? And any idea wher I can get one if so?

  Try "cycling" the DIP switches -- that is, rock them back and forth a few dozen times. Mechanical switches develop oxide on their contacts, preventing good electrical contact. This is especially true if the switches haven't been moved in 20 years. Try it and see what happens.

  If that doesn't work, then indeed the 8-position DIP switch may need to be replaced, or the buffer chip that reads its data may be bad (I ran into that problem just a couple of weeks ago).