RE: G-08 rebuild kit potential BOM

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Tue Jul 22 2008 - 00:23:41 EDT

> http://www.ataricade.com/Simple_Sega_G80_Vector_Mods.pdf

(That is nice, I hadn't seen that before...)

This reminded me-- one of my conversations with Jed Margolin was along these
same lines (on the WG6100). His concern also was variations in US AC wall
voltages. What Jed proposed was to do a switcher as sort of a pre-regulator
to the main power inputs on the WG6100 (so, say +/-30V in or something) and
then just have an LV2000-like post regulator to get rid of switcher noise
and take things down to the final voltages. The upside to the switcher of
course being that if the AC was way overshooting you didn't suddenly have a
bunch of extra power trying to get cooked off in the transistors.

If I can ever find a decent thermal camera for less than the price of a used
SUV I really want to do some thermography and try a few variations on the
cooling theme...

One easy one would be something like a plate of copper in between the
transistors and the aluminum. (Better thermal conduction from the
transistor->copper, then larger surface are of the copper to the aluminum
for better dissipation.) Another thought was just bolting on some surplus
peltier junction ("CPU") coolers and see what that does. Some of the bigger
Intel and/or Nvidia processor heat pump coolers might work well too. ;-)

-Clay

P.S. If anyone has a lead on a used thermal imager with decent specs and an
SD card (or internal memory with USB interface if the price is right), my
pain threshold is about $3K. ;-)