Re: Cinematronics > Atari Adapter???

From: Tom McClintock <tomm_at_mgcap.com>
Date: Sun Oct 13 2002 - 11:20:00 EDT

Wait, here are some notes from Zonn.

------------------
Your biggest problem with doing a Cine->WG board is
that you are forced to use 12 bit parallel DACs, which
are expensive. The Cine design is pretty much going to
force you to find ~1 to 2 us settling time parts. (To
keep the frame rate up, we had to do the same.)

Though you might be able to save some money by using
single supply 12 bit DACs and shifting the voltage
after the analog switch / RC stuff. This is the
approach we took in the ZVG. This also allows the use
of the much more available and less expensive 74HC4066
switches which are only single polarity switches. The
LF13331 were bi-polar, and also expensive (when they
were available).

You can't use serial DACs. They would require a
parallel to serial conversion and there is no time
allocated in the hardware to allow this. The DACs are
latched and the Z-axis is turned on for the draw,
there's no "clock data into DACs" time, which at
minimum would take 16 clock cycles, if both DACs were
simultaneously clocked.