Re: Troubleshooting for Omega Race?

From: Chris Starr <cstarr_at_speakeasy.net>
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 02:05:40 EDT

Found the problem ---

The two large caps (100000mfd and 50000mfd) on the filter assembly before
the linear supply were BAD (almost burst open). They were causing a 2volt
sag every 8 to 10 ms which was putting the CPU into an endless reset
state!!!! When tested with no load they appeared to be fine, put a load on,
and everything goes to hell. I swapped these out, and VOILA! Instant Omega
Race. I would strongly recommend people replace these before testing "dead"
boards. If you see spike or sag points roughly the same frequency (8 - 10
ms) on your +5 voltage, then it's definitely this problem.

I am now a proud owner of a completely fixed and bulletproofed Omega Race
cocktail now.